Followers

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Nightmare of the Worms part one

Funny how I found this right before Halloween. I wrote this last year in December actually. Anyway, I haven't posted here in a while, so I thought I'd share this story in the spirit of Halloween. It's actually based off a finish-the-rest spooky stories I got a long time ago. So the idea's NOT mine. I just changed the writing a bit and created the ending. I'll post the last part tomorrow. :)
-------

I woke up screaming. I stopped when I realized I had been dreaming. More like having a nightmare. I looked outside and saw that it was still raining from last night, only not as hard. I heard footsteps coming towards my room as my heartbeat calmed. Mom and Dad burst in, but before they could ask, I quickly told them I had a nightmare and described it to them. I told them about the hundreds of worms crawling into the bed, on the floor, in my hair, and sliding down the window like the raindrops. I told them how I was being drowned by a sea of slimy bodies.

"You hadn't had a nightmare like that since you were ten, the last time we came here, to Grandma's house." Dad recalled.

"That's because Grandma was freaking me out with that song she always liked to sing. The one about worms playing ping pong on your nose." I shuddered just thinking about it. That might be amusing to you, but it's not funny at all to me.

I was ten. Mom and Dad had to go out somewhere and they left me with a hallucinating Grandma who should have been in a nursing home instead of having us take care of her. The reason she scared me with the worms was because she would claim that they were in the house when I couldn't see anything. That wasn't what scared me the most. It was her song. It went like this:

Worms are crawling everywhere
In your food and in your hair
Worms are crawling on your toes
They play ping pong on your nose

That song made me think about worms being in my food, in my bed, and everywhere else. When I tried to go to sleep, I'd imagine them all around my room. I had to have a light on at all times whenever I visited Grandma.

I'm thirteen now and those worms still haunt me. Even worse, I don't think I'm dreaming. I think Grandma's song is magic and it's making worms attack the house. They feel so real, I'm sure they're not a dream. That makes me even more freaked.

Mom and Dad brought me out of the past by telling me not to worry about the nightmare and come have breakfast.

As they lead me into the dining room, I can't help thinking, what if the worms are real? What if Mom and Dad are the ones who can't see them?

1 comment: